The Real story behind Ipswich Conservative Success - Girl Power!

I'm not a raving feminist, never have been because I have always believed, as Mrs Thatcher did, that women must show, not tell their strengths and talents.

Stop the talking and the victimhood and do the doing. I'ts there for any woman.

The local elections have been a resounding success for Ipswich Conservatives but you would have to look at the small print in our local paper to even see remotely what actually happened.

Suffolk County Council have not just gained some extra representatives for Ipswich as Conservative county councillors, more importantly they include 4 extra females representing Ipswich divisions for the Conservatives.

And boy did each and every one of us deserve our victory because Labour were not just 'pipped' (as described in the Ipswich Star) but the swing to us was massive in anyone's books.

But we cant get there without the support of many others.

As well as the candidates, there were also some brilliant women behind the scenes. 

Let's start with Amanda Milling - our Conservative Co chair. I met her last year and she told me I had the most important job of all to do this year with so many elections.

My reply 'Oh, no pressure then!'

But that sentence kept repeating itself in my head in the last 2 months and kept me going. I was never going to let her or the candidates down.

I, as the Deputy chair (political) and so therefore the campaign manager for Ipswich (Ian Fisher campaign manager for NW Ipswich association), had the strategy and delivery of that plan as my responsibility.

I delegated some of the role to the other deputy chair (membership) Heather Mills who looked after the East side of Ipswich so that I could concentrate on SW Ipswich as I had my own division to win. Also Rosamund Fellowes who is an amazing activist for Liz Harsant, was there every step of the way.

The Chantry seat had always eluded me, often losing by a few votes. Liz Harsant lost Gainsborough by 3 votes last time and both Heather and I were determined that would not happen again.

Yes the national picture helped but I have no doubt that our margins would not have been anywhere near as massive had we not worked so hard and so smartly.

With 2 months notice, we were involved in a strategy that had a stressful timeline each week. We just all came together alongside our other fantastic candidates. I have thanked all of them several times but this post is about the women - just this once - because it is an important development for Ipswich and for the Conservatives here.

I'm so proud of my fellow female team members and that's not to say the men didn't do their bit just as much but just for once, having seen the articles in the press, I want to highlight the real big story they missed. And that was Girl Power!

So I thank them and highlight the new county councillors for Suffolk below;

Liz Harsant 

Sam Murray

Debbie Richards

Myself Nadia Cenci

Pippa Gould (newly elected borough councillor)


Thankyou to all who voted for us too. After all we definitely can't do it without you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bills that received Royal Assent

In Spite of Covid - Boris' Key Achievements in 2 Years

Woke is Envy by a new name- part 2 - Stop the villifying of men